Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Praying for Little Things

by Devora Gila Berkowitz

Parshat Chayei Sarah

Do you pray for the little things?

I've been told not to. I've been told to pray only for the important things -- the stuff that really matters.

But I disagree. I think G-d wants the little prayers, too.

Eliezer asks G-d to send him a sign. He asks for proof of Yitzchak's intended betrothed. She would be the one who offers water to him and to his camels (Bereshit 24:14).

But isn't that a wasted prayer? Isn't he praying for something that's considered common courtesy? Would the average person offer water to a guest and let his animals suffer from thirst? Probably not. So Eliezer's request seems to be prayer for "the little things".

When I'm waiting for a bus, I pray that it should come soon. Of course, the bus will eventually arrive. But my little prayer for the obvious connects me with my Creator and allows Him to be a Giver. And when the bus arrives, I don't see it as a fact of practical scheduling; I see it as G-d's answer to my prayer.

And I think He likes that.


Comments are welcome. If you are subscribing by email, click the title to comment online.

No comments:

Post a Comment